What is Kybella?
Kybella is a medication that is made from deoxycholic acid, which is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that helps to break down and absorb dietary fat. When injected into the skin, Kybella works by destroying the fat cells that contribute to submental fullness. Once these fat cells are destroyed, they can no longer store fat, which helps to reduce the appearance of a double chin.
How does Kybella work?
Kybella works by using a series of injections to destroy the fat cells that are likely causing the submental fullness. During the treatment, a dermatologist will use a small needle to inject Kybella into the area under the chin. The number of injections needed will vary depending on the severity of the submental fullness and the desired results.
Once the Kybella is injected, it works by destroying the fat cells in the treatment area. The body then naturally processes and eliminates these fat cells, which helps to reduce the appearance of a double chin. Because Kybella destroys the fat cells, the results are permanent, and additional treatments are not typically needed once the desired results have been achieved.
What are the benefits of Kybella?
Kybella offers several benefits for patients who are looking to reduce submental fullness:
- Non-surgical: Kybella is a non-surgical treatment, which means that patients can avoid the risks and recovery time associated with invasive surgical procedures.
- Quick and easy: Kybella treatments typically take less than 30 minutes to complete, and patients can usually return to their normal activities immediately following the procedure.
- Permanent results: Because Kybella destroys the fat cells, the results are permanent. Once the desired results have been achieved, additional treatments are not typically needed.
- Natural-looking results: Kybella works by targeting the fat cells under the chin, which means that the results look natural and gradual.
- Minimal side effects: Kybella is a safe and effective treatment, and the side effects are typically mild and short-lived. The most common side effects include swelling, bruising, and numbness in the treatment area.
- Boosts confidence: Many patients who undergo Kybella treatments report feeling more confident and happy with their appearance. This can have a positive impact on their overall quality of life.
Who is a good candidate for Kybella?
Kybella is a safe and effective treatment for most patients who are looking to reduce submental fullness. However, it is important to talk to a dermatologist to determine if Kybella is right for you. In general, good candidates for Kybella include patients who identify with all of these statements:
- Have mild to moderate submental fullness
- Are in good overall general health
- Have realistic expectations about the results
- Are willing to undergo multiple treatments, if necessary and required to get desired effects
- Are not pregnant or breastfeeding, nor are planning to during the course of treatment
- Do not have any medical conditions that could increase the risk of complications or otherwise impair the overall health of the patient.
In conclusion, Kybella is a safe and effective treatment for patients who are looking to reduce submental fullness. With its non-surgical approach, quick treatment time, and natural-looking results, Kybella is a great option for patients who want to improve their appearance without undergoing invasive surgical procedures. If you are interested in learning more about Kybella and whether it is right for you, please contact us to schedule a consultation.